Sunday, November 12, 2006

There's my G!

There are gifts and then there are Gifts.

A midsize car with sunroof and heated leather seats would fall into the "capital G" category.

My car had one tire firmly planted in Buggy heaven, and my parents just upgraded to a brand new 4 door truck, so they gave me their car. And it's quite the car.

I'm not into parading around in status symbols. I feel really weird planting my tattered jeans on those leather seats and waving at neighbours with my holey mittens as I drive by in my gleaming gold car.

I couldn't afford it, can't earn it, don't deserve it.

Kind of like God's Gift of Grace.

My friend Deb (the one who got my through my second pregnancy in one piece) came into town this week, so I gave her a ride in my new car. As she played with all the cool buttons, we talked about how Gifts of that magnitude can be humbling to accept. When we don't earn something it doesn't fit with our sense of what's fair or sensible (in a good way, of course!).

Deb and I drove to our favorite coffee shop. When I handed the clerk my "buy 1o drinks get one free" punchcard, she crossed out 4 squares.

I was confused. I questioned. I argued (with that signature "puzzled" expression people find so cute on me plastered across my face).

Until the lunacy of it hit me: I'm asking for fairness. She didn't make a mistake - she's giving me a gift!

G. is learning to print her name, so whenever we're driving around she'll scan the passing signs and yell, "There's my G!"

How would life be different if we all kept our eyes peeled for signs of God's overwhelming Grace? And then shared them with others with a jubilant, "That's my G!!!"?

If you want to share your answer with me, you'll have to call my cell. I'll be out reading a novel in the driveway with my seat warmers set on high.

No comments: