Monday, November 20, 2006

A makeover story

I have always loved makeovers, long before The Learning Channel and Life Network made them popular entertainment. I wore out the pages of my teen magazine's "Win a New Look contest" issue. I studied the "before" and "after" pictures, imagining with each haircut I got that I would walk into school a "new me," never to be teased again.

Of course, that never happened. Still, part of me believes the fairy tale.

I'm not a fan of the new "extreme makeovers" that involve multiple surgeries and megabucks. I'm more fascinated by the magic a well-trained eye can create with just a few highlights and the right shade of lipgloss.

I used to think the more I became like Jesus the more colour would drain out of my personality. Afterall don't we refer to obscene language and bizarre behaviour as "colourful?" Who wants to be good if it means dreaming in pastels?

I had a wild experience with God this week. One night I was feeling so blah that I thought, "I better stay home because in this state I'm going to just be a big drain on my friends." But I went out anyway.

While we were talking I prayed that Jesus' love would reach others through my words, tone of voice, facial expression, and touch. When everyone got up for food I walked up to a friend, who started to say something like, "How was your day?" and then burst into tears. She said it was the way I looked at her - she could feel the way I cared.

And I hadn't even felt up to leaving the house.

God took my tired face, added a little of his sparkle to my eyes and gave me a mini-makeover. All I had to do was ask.

If a God like that doesn't inspire me to dream in dazzling colour, I don't know what will!

No comments: