Monday, November 28, 2011

No-I'm-not-on-crack parenting advice Part 2: Love 'em like they're *not* your own

No one cares more about your kids than you do, but I'm guessing most days at 11 pm, no one could treat them worse. It's just a fact that we give all day at work or school, holding it together when people step on our toes and cut us off in traffic, and at the end of the day, we're tired and we let it all hang out, knowing our families will forgive us.

I was over at a friend's once and washed a few dishes. When she went to make supper, she opened the cupboard, pulled out a pan, and said, "Okay, who didn't get this clean?" I whispered, "I wasn't sure how hard to scrub. I didn't want to scratch the no-stick coating." The friend apologized, saying she thought it was her kids who'd done it. But if we don't want to talk to our friends that way, why do we find it so easy to use that tone with our children?


I'm guilty. Let's say my child has a play date, and the friend spills chocolate milk, just like my son did that morning. Which child heard me say, "It's okay, sweetie. Accidents happen," and which one got "Not again! I just shampooed the carpet last week!"? That's right: the kid I don't even know gets understanding and the one I'd die for gets guilt-blasted. Why do we do that?

Here are are few possible explanations:

1. Nobody heard me yelling at Junior, but I know for a fact that the playmate's mommy is about to get a play-by-play of everything from the moistness of my baking to the humungousness of the bra I left drying on the towel bar.

2. Nancy Nextdoor has never spilled (or vomited or coloured or made lotion potions) on my carpet before, so this incident cannot invoke years of painful memories...

3. ...Nor will she spill there again every week for the next eleven years.

4. And, if she grows up to dump chocolate milk in the White House parlor or down Shania's dress, I'm not the pathetic mother crying on ET Canada about it, while Ben Mulroney shakes his head in national embarrassment.


If the problem is that 1. no one is holding me accountable,  2. I'm holding onto resentment from the past and fear of the future, it helps me stay calm and use my "nice mommy" voice if I remember that a) I am being watched and b) that this is the moment that matters.


So sometimes, when I'm feeling tired and overwhelming and afraid of the next poisonous thing that's going to come out of my mouth, I image these grouchy, hyperactive darlings aren't my children. I pretend I'm going to send them home to their real mommies, and all I need to do is get through the next hour and make sure I use that time to show them how much God loves them because it may be my only chance.

I tell myself that nothing I do is secret because chances are, if I lose it on a regular basis, my children will tell someone: if not their teachers tomorrow, then their therapists in college. And as the song goes, "there's a Father up above who is looking down in love."

...which reminds me - they really aren't my children after all: God's just sent them over for an extended play date. He loves them even more than I do, and amazingly, he trusts me to devote myself to them like they're my own, and treat them like they're His.

6 comments:

Kristine said...

I'm not a mom but I have many children in my life who are "not my own" but for whom God has given me a heart and a portion of care. In a different way, this piece feels honouring of my role with those children as well. Your writing always encourages me! Thanks!

Kristy Rea (Masterson)

Karla said...

Thanks, Angeline - for your honest insight and thoughtful commentary. A few years ago, we had a major reno done in our kitchen. There were tradesmen in our house every day, all day, for a month. I've never treated my children with such respect and patience before or since. It exhausted me - to be "on" all the time. I wish I could be "on" all the time without the exhaustion factor. I've thought of that many times since. Sheesh. Being a (patient, encouraging, loving, accepting, PATIENT) mom is hard.

Angeline Schellenberg said...

I'm so glad, Kristine! I hadn't thought of it as I was writing, but I am so grateful for the relatives and family friends who took me under their wing when I was a child, and those who do the same for my children. One of my peeves is when people say "she doesn't have a family" when they mean "she hasn't procreated." Every woman has a family - if not a natural family of siblings, nieces, nephews, and cousins, then a church or community family that goes beyond blood ties to a spiritual bond.

Angeline Schellenberg said...

I agree, Karla. It's so hard! Remember when we'd avoid praying for more patience at camp because a leader told us if we did, God would send us campers who would test our patience to make it grow? "Lord, give her patience" felt like calling down a curse on someone! Now I pray that all the time. I need to remember to be patient with myself too. Some days parenting feels like more than I can handle, but we don't get to call in sick, so we do the best we can.

Lou Lovrin said...

Wow... I love this piece. It really made me think. Thank you so much for your honesty. It's difficult to admit that we are not perfect, only He is. So as a fellow autism mom, thank you so much for sharing this.

Love the blog!

Consider yourself hugged,

Lou

Angeline Schellenberg said...

Thanks, Lou! That means a lot.