Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I'm all ears

I bring a story on tape to supper every night. His name is K. and he didn't come with a pause button or volume control. It can be difficult for his little sister G. to get a word in. Sometimes when that happens she'll turn red, pound her fists on the table and yell:

"You're not nisselling!"

It's hard to keep a straight face in the presence of such unbelievable cuteness.

I know God is worlds more patient than a 4 year old, but I wonder if he sometimes feels the same way about me. I'm giving him my sad stories, but am I taking time to listen?

I've been dealing with fatigue the last few weeks. Not sure whether I need a doctor, a counselor or a Palm Springs vacation. (But if anyone wants to buy me a plane ticket, I'll take that as a sign from heaven!)

I remember one day this summer asking God, "What do you see when you look at me?"

In my mind I heard, "You are a daisy."

What?? I knew I hadn't made that up because it made no sense to me.

When I asked him "Why?" he answered, "On the outside, your petals are fragile. Sometimes they blow off easily. But no matter how many times life cuts you down you always grow back."

Wow. I could sure use an encouragement like that right now. Meet me here, God, in the middle of my weakness.

Your child is nisselling.

No comments: