Monday, October 23, 2006

a spiritual birthday party

I was at that outreach event tonight and it was incredible. If I could have pressed a pause button I would have, because it felt like my whole life was made for that moment.

After all the music and the message were over, the preacher called people to come forward if they wanted to invite Jesus into their lives. The thought crossed my mind that maybe no one would respond and it would be an awkward moment for the preacher and then we'd all go home.

That's not what happened. What happened was: hundreds of people in that arena came forward and asked Jesus to cleanse them and give them a new life.

And I got to be part of someone's new beginning.

I was paired up with a single mother in her 50s. We prayed together, asking God for forgiveness, declaring her belief in Jesus' death, and inviting him into her life. Then I put my hand on her shoulder and asked God to give her hope, joy and power, and to show her that he is close to her. When we opened our eyes she was crying.

"Are those happy tears?" I asked.

She laughed. "Yes."

I gave her a hug and we parted ways, but neither one of us will forget this night.

It was out of this world.

No comments: