Monday, August 14, 2006

The view from the bathroom floor

Last night K. got sick all over the bathroom floor and the OUTSIDE of the toilet.

And I didn't really mind.

As a parent of a child who is neurologically wired differently, I have so many unusual challenges that it's nice to have a normal one for a change.

Every mother can relate to wading ankle deep through bodily fluids at all hours of the night. I don't get as many "I know what you mean" chuckles when I talk about how K. tried to tip his bunk-bed because he was frustrated that the edge of his worksheet was curling off the table.

Another parent of a challenging child I interviewed for my Christian Week (Manitoba edition) Health and Heart column told me, "God gave us the children we have for a reason and we are stronger for it."

I confess, most days I feel anything BUT strong. My prayers consist of "Help me!" and "If it's like this now, God, how will we manage when he's a teenager?"

But then I remember how the Old Ange would make sure all her candle-holders were equidistant before company came. She would never have been able to laugh at a pond of puke.

And I realize, "Maybe I'm stronger than I thought."

No comments: