Monday, August 21, 2006

unmasked

Blogging feels a little like that dream where you're standing in front of the class in your underwear. Except you can't tell who's looking at you.

As a journalist I try to picture my "typical reader" and write as if I'm talking directly to him or her. When I write for Christian Week that reader is the average hardworking, family-oriented churchgoer, curious about what's happening in other local churches and charities.

Who should I picture when writing a blog?

Anyone from my boss to my mother to the prankster who stuck maxi pads to my grade 8 locker door can read this. (btw If you are reading this, confession can be very freeing.)

And I'm not writing about a soup kitchen or worship movement, I'm spilling my own guts. This takes a lot of soul searching. Am I being honest about my shortcomings? (If I'm not my friends will be honest for me in the comments they post!) On the other hand, am I extending myself the same grace that I would if I was writing about someone else? And am I sharing things that will encourage those who read it or am I just making myself vulnerable for the fun of it?

I'm not so narcissistic as to think anyone other than my close friends WILL read my blog, but it's possible that just about anybody could.

My mask is off. What will they see?

No comments: