Tuesday, December 31, 2013

13 happiest moments of 2013

Here are my happiest memories of 2013 in pictures:

Disney World with my husband, kids, and parents (April). When we went 5 years ago, my daughter and I had a meltdown in the happiest restroom on earth, but this time, even though the official story is that we're both too old to believe in fairies, we felt the magic.



Attending the Sage Hill Poetry Colloquium to work and birdwatch with Don McKay, who, it turns out, believes I'm a poet (May).



Being in Prairie Fire (July) because you have to admit, that's pretty cool.






My 40th birthday party (July) planned by my loving husband and attended by poets, autism moms, church friends, mentors, and crazy cousins alike. Here I am with Sally Ito, laughing at other people's poetry, not because it's bad, but because it's about me.




And of course, my shiny birthday present from my parents.




Camping at St. Malo, Falcon Lake, and West Hawk (below). I live in a sunny province of lakes and horizons.



Dancing (badly) and hanging out with my Froese family at my cousin's wedding (August).



 
Reading my "To make an Aspie" poem with jazz trumpet and bass at Thin Air (September).



Dancing with Barbara Schott (centre) of Prairie Fire (who remembered publishing me as soon as she heard my name), Marjorie Poor (right) who always makes me smile, Margaret Sweatman, and Jennifer Still at the CV2 Undead party (October).




My disabilities article Can I give you a hug? (October), the highest trending mbherald.com story in 2013, that's being used by churches of all denominations as a guide for building inclusion and that brought me closer to delightful parents like Jeannette (below with her son Donovan).

 
Hope Centre Ministries all-day photo shoot with my husband (November). Some of the adults with disabilities we photographed had never had a professional photo taken before. As you can tell, they were a joy to capture.



My children's successes, which include: for K, a provincial science fair bronze medal, the lead in the school play, an award for creative writing, a certificate for honour roll with distinction, and his first 15-mionute presentation (on aircraft engines) at air cadets - which he too claims as his bravest moment of the year. And for G, staying on stage through the whole school concert (last year, we celebrated the success of staying up for a single song), a brilliant dramatic performance in her Sunday school Christmas drama, composing and performing a piano piece at the church Christmas Eve service, and no meltdowns over Christmas presents.



And of course, my Lily, who makes me happy every day of the year even though when I got her two years ago, I didn't like dogs.

 



There are also some things I can't photograph, such as finding a spiritual director and a massage therapist who helped keep me breathing normally in the less-than-happy moments.

All in all, it was a good year: I danced, I wrote, I was loved.



No comments: