Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What I got for my birthday

Most of us communicate for various reasons: break the ice, test the waters, lighten the mood, make an impression. Aspies usually communicate for one reason: to get facts from one head into another.

I hear a lot about mizzenmasts, jibs, foresails, and rigging around here from my son. Yesterday, he and I found online a photo of a seven-masted schooner and a labelled diagram of a barque, and he never tires of explaining what makes their sails different.

My daughter isn't a talker, but same communication principal applies. If it's not new information, it's not worth saying.


"Good morning, G. It's time for breakfast."
"I know. We always eat when I wake up."


"I have a secret: I love you, sweetie."
"I already knew that too."

This morning, when my husband whispered in her ear, "It's mommy's birthday," G frowned and said, "I know."

He whispered back, "I told you so you could say something to mommy."

Annoyed, she blurted, "Why? She already knows too!"

So, this year, my family gave me the same thing they always do: the gift of laughter! And it fits me perfectly.

No comments: