Saturday, July 16, 2011

My I-can't-believe-I-get to do list



Here's what I did while the kids were at overnight camp for the week:

Ate pasta and sorbet on trendy patios with old friends for my birthday.
Got my toenails done, including flowery, sparkly nail art, at a place where the beauticians don't even speak English, let alone use you as free therapy to unload about their ex-husbands. Sweet.
Attended a Manitoba Writer's Guild event with my poetically gifted sister-in-law and met/smiled sweetly from across the room at/resisted the urge to scream "I love you" to a host of popular Prairie writers.
Went for Chinese with my parents for my birthday. Very different experience than going out to eat with my parents and my kids, especially since I remembered to sit still and chew with my mouth closed.
Lacquered benches so if G tries to colour on them again, hopefully it won't stick. Ha.
Sunned self at beach with hubby (wrapped in towels because it was early and chilly in the morning, but enjoyed having beach almost to ourselves). Wasn't responsible for any of the children playing catch in the middle of the lake up to their necks, but couldn't resist staring at them anyway.

Finished my long (25-page) short story, wrote another (2-page) short story and a few poems.

Sat on backyard swing and read my long story to hubby. He laughed, he cried, it moved him, Bob.

Went for walk with hubby to get free, large, frozen yogurt with full loyalty card.

Watched The Social Network in bed with hubby. Glad to know my geeks/aspies are not that rude. I could have sworn it was a commentary; it is true that you can gain the whole world and lose your soul. Good thing it's a long redeemable life.
Tore out old shower door and put in pretty curtain and rod (that has been sitting on my bedroom floor for 6 months because if we put it away we'd never find it) with hubby. Used drill by myself and felt like a wild woman raised by wolves (talented power-tool-using wolves).
Biked to park with hubby so he could practice taking pictures of me in the sunlight. Got sweaty, went home for the car, and drove to Starbucks for Fraps.

Felt the silence, space, freedom - and total lack of mother-guilt - in every tissue of my body. Not ready to give it up in 6 hours. 

But first, breakfast out with hubby. He's so handsome when he's not under daddy stress.

    No comments: