Sunday, September 09, 2007

My God-list

I'm a firm believer in praying about anything. Not that I always remember to pray. But my philosophy is if it's big enough to worry about, it's worth praying about. That would include parking spots, stretchmarks, and dryers that go cachunk-cachunk when they're not supposed to.

My husband, the wanna-be time management coach, says the act of writing things down on paper gets them out of your head, freeing up your brain for more important tasks (such as, say, baking him his favorite pie). So this spring I made a "God-list" of things I didn't think I could afford, to get them off my internal Greed button and into God's hands.

This week I found the list and it's very interesting:

Occupational Therapy for K. - I convinced an OT at the Autism Service to see K., (covered by Manitoba Health). We've had our second session (out of 5) and she is so helpful. An example: She gave us a wiggly seat cushion - K. now sits for meals instead of standing, wandering or tipping over.)

Speech Language Therapy - Will be covered by T.'s new health plan, whenever I find a therapist.

Summer Camp - This spring we got a letter from our caseworker saying K. qualified for a free one-on-one worker to accompany him if he attended camp. I found out Camp Assiniboia has a subsidy program. K. spent a wonderful week at day camp.

Swimming lessons - Both kids took lessons and both learned to float on their own this summer! The pool even gave K. private lessons for the same price as group lessons because of his diagnosis.

New windows - We found a renovation company that gave us an amazing quote. Our new windows are ordered and should hopefully be installed before the snow flies. (I'm even getting grilles - I love grilles!)

New bed - My brothers moved out of my parents home last year, leaving them with more beds than they needed.

RRSPs - I called a friend who works as a financial adviser and we found a way to swing a small monthly contribution. She may have even found us a cheaper life insurance.

Basement Bathroom - Okay, I still don't have my bathroom, but we did clean out some of the junk in the basement to make room.

Cool, huh?

I'm not saying this to brag or gloat. It wasn't an easy summer by any means. T. injured his back at the beginning of July and God still hasn't answered our prayers for healing. I spent the summer doing all the yardwork T. couldn't! We didn't get any holiday time and Tony wasn't up to doing much around the city either.

But this exercise just reaffirms in my mind that I have a heavenly Father who loves it when I trust him with my dreams. However small.

1 comment:

Monica said...

Love this post too ... I'm gonna be commenting on every one. :)

I started a sleep journal in June, to help with some of my sleep issues. The reading of the journal months later when I've had a scary sleepless night has been so much more helpful than the day to day keeping of the journal.

I also just started a gratitude journal. I can hardly wait until a few months have passed and I can look back and read my past entries and think ... I was thankful during this difficulty so I can be thankful through the current one too.