Thursday, July 05, 2007

Angeline-a ballerina?

When I asked my husband the other day what God was doing in his life he said, "Focusing me."

Once again opposites attract: God just happens to be un-focusing me. And it's about time I joined him in his work.

For the past two years, I've been very focused on developing my writing skills and getting my name out there. When I was resting from my writing, my hobbies were blogging, emailing, trying to come up with an idea for a novel, and reading other people's writing.

I think it's time to diversify! So I've signed up for something that will do absolutely nothing to improve my skills or reputation as a writer. In fact I've registered for something that I'm sure to stink at.

Modern dance.

All the creativity, grace and beauty in my body is confined to my finger tips on a laptop, clarinet, and the occasional frying pan. (I make a mean ham and cheese omelette.) Once you get my arms and hips involved in the creative process it's not a pretty sight.

(Although I must say I did master the achy-breaky-heart linedance of 1991. Seven friends and I performed it, wearing garbage bags covered with purple balloons, to the California Raisins "Heard it through the Grapevine," in front of 300 strangers my first week in colllege. And no, I wasn't inebriated. I was completely lucid, which makes it all the more sad.)

I'm looking forward to doing something where there's no pressure to succeed. I might even learn to laugh at myself.

All I'll have to do is listen to everyone else and join in!

1 comment:

Monica said...

Oh you HAVE to keep writing!!! .. and dancing!!!