Saturday, January 06, 2007

It breaks my heart that I never knew

Have you heard of Iraq? Do you know where Gaza is? Does Afganistan ring a bell?

What about Burma?

Burma (also known as Myanmar) is one of the most brutal, longest running, military dictatorships in the world. Which begs the question: why aren't they in the news?

I'm writing a story about Burmese refugees entering Canada. If I thought studying nearly 50 years of Harry Lehotsky's life in one week was complicated, try learning everything about 50 years of a country's history!

This is the first time I've had to phone Immigration Canada or Foreign Affairs for a story, or had to wonder whether a foreign consulate might read my work. It's the first time I've asked myself whether no one else has reported a piece of information because it's inaccurate, dangerous, or because no one cares.

The Karen are an ethnic group from Burma that have suffered beatings, rape, imprisonment, and forced labour. They've watched their homes and villages burn. They've hidden in the jungle for years, dodging landmines and contracting malaria only to reach a refugee camp and languish there for up for up to two decades. Canadian and US companies, including our CPP, still invest in Burma, to the benefit of the ruling military junta.

By the end of 2007, 100 Karen will live in our city. Let's give them a celebrity welcome. After all, unlike Britney Spears or Michael Jackson, they've earned the right to become household names. And their stories, though not sugary, are filled with strength, beauty, and grace.

No comments: